Friday, October 15, 2010

Student Review: THE MAZE RUNNER | James Dashner

Many thanks to Reilly, a 5th grade student in Texas, who submitted this review. We appreciate his input (and, by the way, are quite impressed with his writing ability). If you or someone you know would like to submit a guest review, please email us at info@teachyalit.com.




Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Date of Publication: 2009
Pages: 374
What Grade Are You In?: 5th, age 10

How did you learn about this book?  

My mom found it online and she said that a whole bunch of people liked it. Then I read the description and the part about The Maze sounded cool and the part about the main character waking up in the lift made me curious, so I checked it out from the library and read it in two days. 

Had you already read any books by this author before you started this one? If so, which one(s)? If not, what made you think this would be a good choice for you?

No, I haven't read any books by this author, but it sounded like a good book and it's description reminded me of the Maximum Ride books, which I really liked. 

What were the two or three things you liked most about this book?

A few things I liked were the Maze, a giant labyrinth surrounding the home of the characters, and the Runners, the people who try to solve The Maze, and the part where Teresa figured out she was telepathic.  I also liked it when the walls moved to close The Maze at night. 

What do you wish had been different about this book?

There's not really anything I would change about this book. People should know that some parts of the book are a little bit scary, and once the characters start to figure out things, the book is very tense.  

Overall, on a scale of 1-5, what score would you give this book?

I would totally give it a 5! It was awesome!

Who do you think would like this book? (Even if you didn't like it, might someone else?)

I think that anyone who likes the Maximum Ride books would totally love this book. This book is probably best for kids at least ten and higher, not younger than ten. For class reading, it might be better for older kids because of some violent and tense situations, and maybe for some mild language. It would be interesting to see other people's reactions to the book, and to compare what other people notice and how they react to different parts. 

Is there anything else you would like to say about this book?

The only other thing I would like to say is that Chapter 59 is really sad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment